This week I had the chance to handle the brand new Oris Movember Big Crown watch, and here you will find my thoughts on it.
The Oris Movember edition is a watch released yearly by Oris to cooperate with the Movember Foundation. A nice quality watch at a really good price, just below 2000€. We will take a look at the specifications later on.
The Movember Foundation works to provide consciousness to men about the most frequent issues they face during their lives: testicle cancer, prostate cancer, mental health and phisical inactivity. One of their main goals is to raise money to help the investigation of those causes.
Said that, Oris is supporting this cause by trying to raise the ambitious amount of 100,000CHF (87,566€) to help this cause. Not only Oris is trying to reach this goal by selling this watch, they also are auctioning a a lot of experiences, but thye’re also receiving donations from all aroudn the world. These experiences range from a blind date with Oris to a whole watchmaking experience, where you get to go and see how they build your own Big Crown watch, meet the watchmakers and see the Oris factory in Hölstein.
The ORIS BIG CROWN MOVEMBER 2018 EDITION
Now let’s get to the watch, beautifully sized at 40mm (a little too big for us, vintage geeks, but some of us can pull it off), it’s the perfect watch for a new collector, and here’s why:
- You get to experience a brand with so much history and heritage
- For the price, you are getting a high quality watch with the caliber Oris 754. 38h of power reserve, 28800 bph, and of course, automatic. Oh, did I mention it was in-house?
- A gorgeous variation of one of the most famous complications throughout the watch world, the date function. Instead of the most common window at 3 o’clock, you get an outside date surrounding the inner hour markers. The date, as the name sais,it’s indicated by another hand, with a red point in it. Just beautiful.
- I forgot to mention, it doesn’t have an open case back, but indeed has a beautiful one:
- It also comes with a really well-made strap. It has two iconic moustaches right between the stitches on the lugs representing the Movember movement.
- Oris didn’t forget about us, watch geeks, and they give a custom Movember watch pouch, that also comes with a NATO signed with a moustache.
If you want to support this cause, you can get a very well made watch, or if you’re on the “not-so-deep pockets” you can grow a moustache or a beard yourself to show your support!